I’ve always loved oats. But growing up, I only ate them one of two ways – cooked up hot with butter, brown sugar or whatever I was desiring that day – and the other way was in an oatmeal cookie. I never thought of eating oats cold until I tried overnight oats by Zen Monkey. It’s a blend of yogurt, soaked oats and fruit available in the yogurt section of Whole Foods. The apple flavor was delicious. So I did some research and recreated the recipe at home in a mason jar. This raw oat porridge has become one of my favorite go-to breakfast recipes. You can make it quickly at night before you go to bed and in the morning you have a delicious and healthy breakfast to get you going.
I will be posting a more traditional Overnight Oats with Apple and Cinnamon recipe soon, but for now here’s one made with exotic fruit. If you’re curious, learn more about white sapote.
Overnight Oats with White Sapote
- 2 Small White Sapote Fruits Diced Small
- 1 Cup Instant Oats I recommend Quaker Oats
- 1/2 Cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Apple Juice Add more if needed
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Coconut
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Salt
- Squeeze Lemon Juice
- Combine yogurt, apple juice, vanilla extract in a mason jar. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in oats then fold in white sapote fruit.
- Add a pinch of salt and squeeze of lemon to taste.
- Put the lid on the jar and give it a shake. If you feel it's too thick add a little more juice or water.
- Let sit overnight in the refrigerator. Oats will swell up with flavor.